Thursday, February 4, 2010

Kindred Spirits

... as I struggle with words to paper... sometimes someone reads my mind... gel

your picture smiles
as I try to write
something
that will touch you
you smile is wistful
as if to say
”I wish...I wish...”
you look at me with clear green eyes
with subtle corner lines
that crinkle when you smile...
but your smile is not
as wide...or as free
as when he held you
”I wish...I wish...”
I stare back at you
staring at me....
your eyes twinkle
or is it a glimmer of pain
that has not healed
...that may not heal...ever...
you must make it numb
or it will do the same
...to your heart and life...
”I wish...I wish...”
so you put them down...
bury the memories deep...
heap upon them
...distractions...
...and business...
...and dedication to
other things...
to keep the memories
...of his touch...his scent...
...the sweetness of his lips...
buried...
”I wish...I wish...”
...it’s better now...
you can go a whole hour
without thinking
of the incredible joy you shared...
a week or two without the “ache”
...the sweet, sweet poems...
you poured out of your heart
in flowing waves of ink...
words you could not speak
without tears...
and now...cannot not read
without weeping
...you destroyed them all...
all the love you wrote
”I wish...I wish...”
you were alone with your pain...
there was no one who would share
...or truly listen...
...or understand...
one day...a soft voice
a listening ear
a caring heart
appeared at the window
to your heart and tapped on the glass
and you talked for hours
”I wish...I wish...”
I think he is a friend
in the truest sense...
...a kindred spirit...
that has walked the path
has felt the weariness of
...doing what is right
who has felt the pain...
and the ache...
who knows the temptation
and the euphoria
of that path you both have walked
he makes you feel
...so un-alone...
he writes you beautiful words
that help you heal
...and write again
...that man is me...
perhaps one day
we might meet...
and over good wine...
talk and laugh your pain away
”I wish...I wish...”
dtb

No comments:

Post a Comment