Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A likeness...

Sometimes someone puts into words feelings much like your own;
The Terrors

the terrors came to visit again last Thursday
making my mind race with self-doubt and fear
reducing me to a prisoner in my own home
a captive of my own mind, if truth be told
I was more courageous in my other life
unafraid to take a chance...or make a leap
the defining moment at the edge was just
a blur as I boldly raced by and jumped
Never afraid when others lose their salt
but now, I tremble at the smallest things
...when it rains...is everything protected?
...fears of money owed...how will I ever pay?
...of family and friends let down time
and again...how will I look them in the eye?
I search my life and see only my failures...
at times, the line stretches as far as I can see
I try to focus on my achievements...my successes
I try to concentrate on the bright spots in my life...
it’s as if my mind has ADD...the melancholy
returns as the waning light resets to zero
it’s like climbing a flight of stairs...you take
one step at a time, but the first riser is a bitch
A HUGE wall I face... some days I ascend on my own
today, I need a rocket to blast me to the tread
I know it would be good for me to get out...
it’s a little like getting out to go to church..,
you always feel much better once you get there...
but the terrors keep me frozen in my place
I really wish these terrors would up and go
but they hang about like visiting relatives
that have long outstayed their welcome
I’d love to pack their bags and send them off
then lock the windows and re-key the locks
and try to keep them outside my sanity...
but...they are persistent in their hassling...
they picked the locks and here they are again
like pantry moths invade the house, unawares
and take up residence in our cereal boxes , these
terrors occupy my mind ...I must ferret out their nest
smite them one by one until my sunshine returns
I must admit, I feel I’m like I’m gaining ground
the lows aren’t as low...or as long...as they’ve been
the nights aren’t a never-ending new moon
I see the glimmer light at the end of this tunnel

No comments:

Post a Comment